Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween, Guatemalan Style

I woke up today and it was clear and cool so I decided to take a run up to the Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross). It is not far from the apartment, but the trip up is difficult as it is all uphill. It is a popular place for runners in the morning as I saw at least 30 other people running up or down from there. The hike was worth the effort as I got several good pictures including this one.


Around 10am we decided to go for a walk and feed the bird the bread crust we have been saving up. We spread the bread crust around the Parque Santa Rosa, but did not have much luck attracting birds because Luis loves to scare them off and watch them fly. Then was walked down to the La Merced, a large catholic church just north of the arch on 5th Avenida. We went inside and looked around for a while. It is a huge church and there are a lot of areas to check out. Then is was on to the travel agency to book my shuttle to the airport tomorrow. We decided we would go to Burger King for lunch, but needed to go change some US dollars to Guatemalan Q first. I like for Jenny to get that done while I am here so she does not have to visit the bank when I am in Texas. While we were eating lunch the rain came. When the rain let up, we went to Marco Polo and got the kids some ice cream. Then it was a walk back to the apartment down the wet streets.

At 3pm we started getting ready for the Halloween party we had been invited to attend. It was at the apartment of another adopting family and included about 5 families. The kids had a complete blast playing and eating the great snacks that were provided. When it was time to trick or treat, the rain was back so all the parents set up stations around the courtyard and let the kids trick or treat there. I think the kids got more candy in the ten minutes of trick or treating this year than ever before. It was mayham and they ate it up. We walked home in the dark and the rain, and just got Christopher to bed. I am sad it is time to go home already and will be counting the 20 days until I return. Hopefully by then we will be on the director's desk in the CNA and I won't have to take another trip to their office.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that the Halloween party turned out well for the kids and parents. I would have loved to see Luis at his first Trick-or-Treat, so I can only imagine how much joy it gave you. Hopefully Papi's 20 days will go fast!!!! Love you all. Miss you VERY much.

    ReplyDelete