Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Adventures Continue

Good afternoon! I have a bit of time during a patch of rain to write an update.

Yesterday, after school, we went to La Bodegona. We had a successful visit. I needed some additional menu ideas - simple meals, though - and the kids helped me look closely in each aisle. Shopping here is a bit different than at my Kroger. Aisles are very narrow, in fact, they are too narrow for a single cart. There isn't a rhyme of reason to the way items are organized in the store. For example, the cereal is next to the mayonnaise, which is next to the canned beans. On another aisle, the coffee is next to spaghetti sauce - thank goodness, it was in my search for decaf that I found spaghetti sauce. (Can anyone who speaks Spanish tell me what "Decaf" might translate to?)

Yesterday I was able to capture Caroline with a beautiful smile and wanted to share it (mainly for the grandmothers!). Doesn't she look like she's growing up too fast???



Today I school, Luis got to discover shapes using this math manipulative. To practice fine motor skills, he took the rubber bands off with plastic tweezers.


After school today, we walked over to some ruins called La Candelaria. There wasn't much to see, but our imaginations went wild. We wondered what this place looked like in its peak. We think it used to be a church, but was destroyed in the earthquake several centuries ago. It was a bummer that we couldn't enter the area, nor was there any information about La Candelaria. It was still pretty cool.


Later today, we went to the library and found some more reading material. Caroline was excited about a Junie B. Jones book, and Chris found a Where's Waldo? Luis totally knows who Barney is, so we come home with a Barney book each week. Thank goodness the Barney DVD that I brought from home runs a Spanish track - he's enjoyed that.

If the rain holds out, I'm treating the kids to Pollo Campero, and tonight, Caroline and I are having a girl's sleepover. Hope you all have a good evening as well!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word!!! Caroline has grown up in the time you have been there. What an absolutely beautiful picture of a beautiful girl. You know of course, that I capture all your pictures to share. It is wonderful to hear your blog sounding very relaxed. We send love and thanks for the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely beautiful niece I have!!!! Glad to hear things are good with all of you,Cant wait for the day when we can see you all in person. Luis looks so happy. Sending Love from Idaho..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Guatemala there is only instant Sanka decaf. Make sure your hubby brings some for you on your next trip. Love reading your updates!!!!

    ReplyDelete