Monday, October 5, 2009

Sweet Moments

Today was Monday, so back to our school-day routine. I must admit that I really enjoy home-schooling the kids, and this time in Guatemala is not only a special time with Luis but also bonus time with Chris and Care.

I won't bore you with our curriculum, but I will say that we are having fun coming up with creative declarative, imperative, exclamatory, and interrogative sentences. :)

After school, we went about our errands. Christopher treated the other two kids ice cream using his allowance money. Very sweet. Here are their happy faces:



Next, we found the barberia to get Luis a haircut. His hair needed a cut two weeks ago when we picked him up! We found the place and he didn't want to go in. Poor guy, he cried the whole time his hair was being cut. I held his hand the whole time and wondered why on Earth a haircut would be so upsetting. An example of when our language barrier is a problem, and an example of wishing we knew more of his past. And just like any other mom who feels extreme guilt, I bought him his favorite cookies at the store!

The store, by the way, was interesting. This one has been bought out by Wal-Mart, so you can purchase their labeled items. The set-up was strange. The toilet paper was next to the fruit, the milk was next to the shoes, and even though I could find any type of pasta I could want, there wasn't any spaghetti sauce. The whole place was about 4 aisles wide. Well, we ended up having spaghetti noodles with butter instead of a tomato based sauce for dinner, and it turns out we all got to eat!

We got home and I treated Luis to a bath with two colored tablets, and his haircut was looooooong forgotten. Here's his photo, you'd never even guess he'd been upset!



At bedtime, Luis and I snuggled together and he had such a sweet smile on his face. It was such a joy that he continues to open up to us emotionally as he learns we can be trusted. God is good!

2 comments:

  1. I pray this time passes fast. We miss all of you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,
    I love and miss you and the kidds. I am looking forward to seeing you soon.

    Victor

    ReplyDelete