Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fun Saturday!


I didn't post yesterday because I was pretty exhausted. Chris was missing his Daddy and needed a lot of special consideration yesterday. I am grateful that I read about Culture Shock for Kids - the info helped me. The picture below is from yesterday, when Luis and Caroline built a fort in their room, naming it "The Reading Club." I am so excited that all three kids enjoy reading!

This morning was bright and warm - perfect weather for the pool! We planned to meet our friends Carolyn and Olga Ciak at the Hotel Antigua's pool. We hadn't explored the southern sections of Antigua yet so I was glad to do so on our walk there. We passed a really old cathedral that tomorrow is having a Blessing of the Animals (in honor of St. Francis of Assisi). I thought about taking the kids, since they love animals, but I can't bear the thought of Chris and Care in tears missing their dog. So I think maybe we'll find an English-speaking Protestant church service instead, without pets.

Anyways, we arrived at the pool, very excitedly. For 150Q, or a little under $20, we were able to spend the day there as well as borrow towels. The water was heated, which I love. One side had a little kids area that is about 2 feet deep, the other side about 5 feet deep, separated by a pathway about 6 inches deep.

For those of you who don't have the priveledge of knowing the Ciak's, they are missionaries at Casa Para Ninos, Luis' FORMER home, and we've enjoyed our time with them over the last several years of visits to Guatemala. Olga (Carolyn and Jack's daughter) and Luis are friends. Luis enjoyed seeing Olga, and Caroline was grateful for a girl to play with. The Hotel Antigua is absolutely spectacular, and we all enjoyed it tremendously. They even offered free face-painting, and I took a picture of Olga the Tiger and Caroline the Butterfly.


We took a tuk tuk home from the pool since after several hours in the pool, they were worn out. After cleaning up from the pool, we ordered pizza and watched Barney in Spanish (a DVD we brought). It was fun listening to Luis sing the songs in Spanish, although I didn't know what he was singing. I think he appreciated having something in Spanish. Finally, the movie was over and Luis was practically begging me to take him to bed. Good night!

3 comments:

  1. Great job! I am so glad you had a good day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see your blog this morning and happy you had a great day. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Guatemalian Fettes!
    Finally had time to check out your blog. Sounds like all is well and all the trials and tribulations of this process have been worth it and God has shown us skeptics that this was meant to be! Of course we always knew that HE had chosen an awesome family to persevere all of this. We continue to pray that you will be home sooner than later. Love, Connie & Dan

    ReplyDelete