Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Halloween, Fourth of July and Feliz Navidad from Guatemala

Today started with school. Both Christopher and Caroline had made the all “A” honor roll so I made homemade donuts for breakfast. Christopher liked them but Caroline didn’t. I should have just gone to get donuts at the Panaderia. Oh well! Today they studied irregular verbs and had a science class that included going out and seeing what they could find in the dirt (identifying organic and inorganic material). I worked with Luis on patterns and the memory game to improve vocabulary.

After school it was off to the bank to change money since I used most of Jenny’s Guatemalan currency at Hiper Paiz yesterday. Then we headed out to the barber shop near the market to get Christopher and Luis trimmed up. For 12Q (about $1.50) you can get a great haircut. They even use the straight razor around the sideburns, ears and the back of the neck. I am going to have to get one the next time I am down. Here is a picture of the boys in the barber’s chairs.




Then it was into the bowels of the local market past the meat area (whole chickens sitting out with the vendor waving away the flies) and on to the fruit and veggie area to get a pineapple. After successfully completing that mission we grabbed lunch at Pollo Campero. I gave Jenny some time to do more shopping while I got the kids back to the apartment.

The rest of the afternoon was spent putting up the Christmas Tree. Here is a shot of Luis who was way too excited. He is in his Halloween dinosaur costume waving the American flag in front of our newly decorated tree. It was awesome to watch his eyes light up at each step, getting out the tree, plugging in the lights, putting on the ornaments, getting out the stockings. I can’t wait to see him on Christmas morning, he is going to freak out.



Tonight Jenny and I are having a date night. I am going to an Argentinean Steakhouse for take out and we are going to have some treats from Chocolalala for dessert. Hope all goes well and I manage to do a good job hosting my first date in Guatemala.

Victor

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, I can feel the excitment. I hope you did well on your date night, but I would guess you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor did a fantastic job with date night. He selected a delicious steak with yummy side items. The best part was the chocolate from Chocolalala, and a big thanks to the kiddos for cooperating (especially Christopher, whose bedroom is right outside the kitchen!)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day! I see you went to the Barbareria Modelo, our fav haircut place. They do a great job and all for a $1 and some change. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!!

    ReplyDelete