Friday, February 26, 2010

A New Passport!

The last two days have been a whirlwind. Yesterday I had a regional review at work. That is when the South Area Leadership Team comes to our market to review our results and actions. The meeting was scheduled to start at 7 am, which meant we needed to be in the office by 6:15, which meant a 4:30 alarm. One problem, whenever I have something big going on first thing in the morning I continually wake up thinking I have overslept. So, I was up at 4:00 am. The review was stressful, but by 1 pm it was over and I had a wrap up with my team. Then it was time to run to Target and get the last few items I needed to bring down with me. A quick stop at the house to change clothes and it was time to head to the airport. Things went fine on the trip down and I arrived in Antigua about 11 pm. Jenny and I were excited to see each other again, especially since this time we know we will not have to say goodbye in a week. So we were up talking past midnight.

We got and early start this morning. As usual the roosters were crowing at 5:30 am so I was awake. Then at 6 am my phone alarm went off (also with the sound of roosters) and that woke everyone else up. We left Antigua headed to our attorney’s office in the city at 7 am and arrived there about 8:40. The attorney had a package ready for us to take to the passport office and directed our driver where to go. We got to the passport office and I used my very broken Spanish to let them know I needed a passport for my newly adopted son. After reviewing the documents, they sent me to the bank next door to pay the Q250 fee for a passport. Then it was back to the passport office to turn in the documents and receipt. We waited about ten minutes before they called us and sent us down to get Luis fingerprinted and photographed. That process did not take long and then after another five or ten minutes the passport book was ready. Here is a picture of Luis with the new passport.



After our successful visit to the passport office, we headed back to our attorney’s office so they could get a copy of the passport page sent to translations. We will be getting all the translated documents on Sunday so we can turn them into the US Embassy on Monday morning. Then is was time for the return trip to Antigua.

By the time we got back we were all starving and decided to head to McDonalds for lunch. The kids had a great time and while they were still playing I headed over Modelo Barberia to get a hair cut. They do a great job and it only costs Q12 (about $1.50). We spent the afternoon hanging out at the apartment and this evening we watched Star Wars – A New Hope, with the kids. It was the first time Luis had seen it and I think he really enjoyed it. The is familiar with the characters from playing the Legos Star Wars game and that seemed to help him follow the story.

Tomorrow is a packing day. We will be working to stuff all the things we brought down or bought in Antigua over the last five and a half months (including Christmas) into five large suitcases, two carry-on roller bags and five back packs. So, tomorrow we will see what the truly important items are and what can hit the trash here.

On Sunday we will go to church in the morning to worship once more in Antigua. We are really looking forward to being back at TWUMC! Our shuttle van picks us up at 1:30 in the afternoon to take us to our hotel in the city. We will finish the remaining steps in Guatemala City. We are praying that we'll be flying home by Thursday.

Right now, it feels surreal. We started Luis' adoption so long ago and I am so thankful for God's faithfulness in seeing us through this! It is hard to believe we are really close to being finished with the process. Thank you for your prayer support!

2 comments:

  1. T-6 days.
    So happy to read all the details and know you will be home soon. Thinking about you all constantly.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great blog. We are waiting for you. Sending out love.

    ReplyDelete