Saturday, February 6, 2010

It's A Wonderful Life

One reason that I don't update our blog more often is that I think there might not be anything interesting to report. What I mean is, most of the time, life in Antigua seems rather routine. Church on Sundays, school at home Mondays through Friday. Luis continues to adjust well, learn English, etc. etc.

But I would be remiss not to recognize treasures in the mundane. Earlier in the week, we made dinner and dessert for a neighbor with a new baby. Luis and I sat in front of the hot oven (with the oven light on) and watched butter melt in my casserole dish. He learned words like "gooey" and "melty", and after we finished making a layered cookie dessert, he said "yummy"! It's been a long time since I had time in my schedule to watch butter melt.

And on another night, after his bath, Luis and I watched the colored water going down the drain. He learned the word, "Whirlpool"!! How fun!

Tonight, Luis asked Chris to a "sleepover" - so here they are enjoying being brothers.



Before they went to bed, we watched another Saturday night Antigua fireworks show. I thought even the fireworks have become a routine occurrence!

But then I realized, how can seeing our dreams of Luis becoming part of our family ever become routine and mundane? How can watching miracles and experiencing answered prayers ever grow old?

So I quickly snapped a shot of the kids, caught off guard, but reminding me that firework shows aren't limited to Disney World and special holidays. Each day is worth celebrating.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog, Jen. Thank you so much for sharing. We all need to remember each day is precious, great remind. Sending our Texas love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, that was beautiful. You are such a great writer. Thank you for capturing those moments for us and sharing. You are so right that we have to find the beauty and the "treasure" in the mundane. What a blessing to me!!! And what a blessing Luis is!! He has a wonderful family :)
    ~Maisi

    ReplyDelete