Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Getting to know Antigua

We spent today getting to know Antigua and the neighbors a little better. We got up early and I made eggs, bacon and pancakes for breakfast. Then we played some soccer and football in the yard. Jenny took Luis for a short walk to the panaderia (bakery) and got some bread for the day. They learned that they sell "American Donuts" and the kids were delighted with the news. We spent the rest of the morning around the apartment playing. The highlight was watching Luis snuggled up with Jenny looking for Goldbug on every page of "Cars and Trucks and Things that Go". His face would light up and he would squeal every time. Here is a short video.


After a quesadilla lunch, we went out to explore more of the city. Each time out we take a different route to the plaza so we can find out what is on each road. We had not gotten too far before Luis let me know he needed the Bano for a "Poo poos". I remember that I had seen a sign just off the main square for "Sanatarios" so we hussled ahead while Jenny, Care and Christopher looked in a couple of shops. I found out the bathrooms were very clean and nice but cost 2Q to use and an additional 1Q for papel (paper). The moral of this part of the blog is don't leave home without 3Q in Antigua. Anyway, 3Q later we were back on our way to Marco Polo for some helado (ice cream) and then the Artisans Mercado on the far side of town. It was just as I remembered it, except much less busy. After looking though their wares, we headed next door to the Mayan market where the locals shop. Our primary goal was to find the fruit and veggie section. We found it with relative ease and bought grapes, apples, liches, tomatoes and the biggest carrot you have ever seen. Luis convinced us to buy the liches. Here is a picture of one. They look hairy and scary, but are not bad, they peel easily and have a hard seed but the meat of the fruit is juicy and tasty.

On returning to the apartment we visited with the neighbor for a while and learned her favorite panaderia and the location of the library that has both english and spanish books. Jenny is very excited as the library was one of her favorite spots for home schooling in Texas.

After a spagetti dinner and showers I spent some extra time with the kids, knowing I would be leaving tomorrow. Luis and I read the Baby Einstein book we bought in the city and then looked for Goldbug again in the Cars book. Then it was off to bed.

I am sad to be leaving tomorrow. I will miss my family and the fun we have been having. I return in three short weeks. Until then it will be up to Jenny and our guest author Christopher to update us all on the happenings here.

4 comments:

  1. What a joy to find the blog completed again today. I thought wyou would be too busy to write. I know you will hate leaving and the family will hate losing you tomorrow. You have made amazing strides with Luis and attchment. I LOVE the video. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will pray for safe travel for you, Victor and security for the family in your absence. But it looks like you've all done such a good job in preparing for this adventure and modern communications will go such a long way in keeping you all, and us, in touch. I know how much Jenny hates separations, but this time there is a new son at the end of it. I have spoken with the girl from our church whose parents are missionaries in Antigua. They happen to be in Mexico right now, but she is emailing them with Jenny's phone number (they all communicate thru Skype) and she (Sisell) told me that they would be a wealth of information and advice. They go into Guatemala City to church on Sunday (I think that is right) and she said that maybe they could take Jen and children to the English speaking sevice. Well, anyway, it sounds like a helpful connection. We know you will miss the family while you work to support this operation, but the time will go by quickly and you'll be there again in short notice. I know Pongo will be happy to see you, not to mention your folks! Love to all, blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the video! It was extra special to hear voices. Wish I was there to hug your necks. Victor, safe travels and hang tough JM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a great time reading your blog!! I am so happy for your whole family!!!! I was shocked when I saw the liche picture on this blog. I had those when I lived in Costa Rica, except we called them "mamon chino". There should be a green one without the hairy thing on it. Looks like a small lime.

    ReplyDelete